CBD Oil Dosing: What You Need to Know

Dosing – one of the most frequently asked questions by CBD users. How many milligrams is enough? Will it harm me? Can I overdose on CBD? 

CBD Oil Dosing and Safety

First, let’s address the questions of the safety profile of CBD. The World Health Organization (WHO) states, “CBD is generally well-tolerated with a good safety profile. In humans, CBD exhibits no effects indicative of any abuse or dependence potential” (WHO, 2017). The statement continues – “There is no evidence of recreational use of CBD or any public health-related problems associated with the use of pure CBD” (WHO, 2017).


A study published by Esther M. Blessing, MD, Ph.D. from New York University School of Medicine – Neurotherapeutics states, “Human experimental findings support preclinical findings, and also suggest a lack of anxiogenic effects, minimal sedative effects, and an excellent safety profile.” (Blessing, 2015)


Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer with dosing. There are CBD dosing guidelines found on the internet; however, we would feel more confident if these guidelines were reviewed and published by government agencies.

CBD Dosing: A General Rule of Thumb

There are multiple factors that play into the efficacy of CBD, such as:


 - Age

 - Weight

 - Gender

 - Race

 - Existing health conditions

 - Existing medication


The general rule of thumb with CBD dosing is similar to that of supplements:


 - Start low, go slow.

 - Gradually increase until the individual feels the maximum benefits.

 - Consistency: taking CBD products daily for the body to adjust to a new compound. 


For example, a 10mg dose of THC-free CBD oil may be effective for one individual, but may not be as effective for another individual. We encourage speaking with your healthcare physician before taking CBD.

Types of CBD

Whether you are new to CBD or familiar with CBD, it is important to know the difference between the three types of CBD available in the industry today: Full Spectrum CBD, Broad Spectrum CBD, and Isolate CBD.


Full Spectrum CBD


Full Spectrum CBD is created from hemp through a full plant extraction. These compounds such as cannabinoids (CBD, CBN, CBG, THC, and more), terpenes, and essential oils are present. Full Spectrum CBD may contain up to 0.3% tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). 


Broad Spectrum CBD


Broad Spectrum CBD is created by taking Full Spectrum extract and further processing it to remove trace amounts of THC found in its existing Full Spectrum profile. As a result, it maintains the efficacy of the same cannabinoids, terpenes, and essential oils that Full Spectrum CBD provides – but with less THC. 


CBD Isolate


Isolate CBD is created by removing all other molecules and compounds, except CBD, from Full Spectrum hemp extract; leaving the CBD in an anhydrous (waterless) state. All that remains is a white powder that is at least 99% pure CBD with 0% THC. However, CBD Isolate does not contain other cannabinoids (CBN, CBG, CBC, etc.), terpenes, or essential oils that Full Spectrum and Broad Spectrum CBD offers. 

Conclusion

Zenith strategically chose to use Broad Spectrum CBD in our products because:


 - Our CBD contains 0% THC; compared to Full Spectrum, which contains up to 0.3% THC. 

 - Although CBD Isolate contains up to 99% CBD, it lacks other major and minor-cannabinoids essential for a full entourage effect (CBC, CBG, CBN, CBA, terpenes, flavonoids, fatty acids, and more).

 - Individuals can NOT test positive on a drug test for THC.

 - Our Broad Spectrum CBD contains 92.61% CBD + 1.2% total cannabinoids, giving it a 93.81% total cannabinoid profile – much higher compared to others in the industry.


Shop THC-Free CBD from Zenith